Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Juicing? Make your own veggie broth

My husband and I get a CSA box of organic, local fruits and veggies once a week. At the end of the week, I juice the veggies we haven't eaten yet, that are starting to turn. Anyone who juices knows that there is a lot of "by-product" that you normally just throw away, or if you are lucky... compost. Sadly, we live in an apartment, but I figured I should be using that veggie pulp for something. Perhaps to make my own fresh, organic veggie broth for the plethora of soups and stews I make. (Quick side note: one of the only broth's I can have that does not contain sunflower oil or tomatoes is from Whole Foods. I find myself making a special trip there and buying 6 at a time. Not very convenient!)
Anyway... the last 4 times I have juiced, I stashed away my veggie pulp from my juicer in the freezer, as well as any other vegetable trimmings that don't make it into the main dish. (Note: if you are adding veggies to your juices, just juice the veggies first, remove the pulp then juice the fruits.) Here is my process once you collect a good amount of veggie pulp-


A variety of veggie pulp from a juicer, as well as veggie scraps, filling 1/4 of the pot (ideally with onion but if not, throw a few cloves of garlic in)
Water
Salt
A Gallon Pot
A strainer or sieve
Another large pot
Containers to put your fresh broth into (once cooled)
A slotted spoon


-In a Gallon pot, add the veggie pulp and trimmings (you don't need to defrost) plus 1 1/2 Tablespoons of salt (you can always add more later). Fill the pot to nearly the top, allowing for boiling room. Bring the pot to a boil and reduce to a high simmer, leaving uncovered.


-While stirring occasionally, let the veggies and water simmer for about 2 hours , or until the veggies look sad and devoid of all color and the broth starts to turn a "broth color". 


-With a slotted spoon, remove the majority of vegetable pulp and *GASP* throw it away.  Strain broth into the other pot through a fine strainer or sieve, and get your containers ready.



- Let the broth cool (especially if you are using plastic containers) and transfer it into your containers. Refrigerate or freeze, and use when needed.

Hope this can help the wallet, as well as your own guilt for throwing out juicing pulp.

And just a reminder, for the month of May, 10% of my sale profits will be going to the animal charities The Gentle Barn and NKLA. Shop my Etsy, Zibbet, or Facebook stores!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...