Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Chemical Free in 2013

My resolution this year was to go as "cheaply chemical-free" as possible. Last year, I started doing some research on my products using the Environmental Working Group's "Skin Deep" database, which allows you to search your sunscreen, shampoo, toothpaste, etc... and see their safety profile

I was surprised that my organic tinted moisturizer from Physician's Formula got a 3 rating. Not horrible, but it got me thinking about what I put on my skin every day. I did a search on the least toxic tinted moisturizers and found a great one at, you guessed it... Etsy. Botanical Labs makes a Liquid Mineral Foundation. I ordered a sample and loved it! So I got the full size. It's so light, not greasy. It also has SPF, which I love. And most importantly, all of it's ingredients are 0-1 on the Skin Deep scale. YAY!

My beloved Trader Joe's "Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo", which is SLS free and uses organic ingredients, came up at a disappointing 4 on the Skin Deep scale. I was so sad, as this is the only SLS shampoo that I have used that actually leaves my hair feeling clean. Then, I stumbled upon the blog Frugally Sustainable. This is exactly what I need. She has a recipe for Shampoo Soap, but I was exhausted just from reading the tutorial. Imagine my excitement when I saw that she has an Etsy store! My husband got me two samples for Christmas, and I'm still deciding which I like best before I buy a full bar. Check out Andrea's database of other DIYs. I want to try them all!

Lots of people on blogs have started using the Oil Cleansing Method with great success. It's DIY, it's cheap, it's chemical-free and it really works. I buy the ingredients at Whole Foods or Sprouts. I have been using it for over 2 years now, and I love it!

I use about 25% Castor Oil and the rest is:
- a safflower oil that is infused with Thai Basil and Lemongrass. It smells divine! 
- a teaspoon of Arnica Oil to help with circulation (I also use it as a spot treatment on cysts. It's the only thing that helps those deep zits). 
- a few drops of Dr. Bronner's Liquid Castile Soap (to thicken the oil)
- a probiotic capsule (because why not)
I am planning on making my own soap and deodorant, after a recent purchase from Country Soap Shack. I got beeswax, shea butter and cocoa butter. I can't wait for it to come so I can start making those DIYs I've been seeing on Pinterest. It seems like everything fun involves at least beeswax. 

Here are some other things I am aiming to make in this new year that will help keep me "Cheaply Chemical-Free": deodorant, laundry detergent, dishwashing detergent, and of course the wool dryer balls that shall never be discussed again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...